We are seeking two superstar summer students to help us out with summer events and promotions.
Status: Full Time, Temporary from mid May to end of August
35 hours per week, wage is $12.00/hour + 4% in lieu of vacation
The Summer Students Ambassadors support the staff of the BIA in executing the overall vision of the Board of Directors as determined by our strategic plan. Their primary focus will be in planning, executing, and evaluating BIA events, programs and promotions.
This is an exciting role full of variety, and the opportunity to have input into BIA communications strategies, initiatives and events. The corporate culture is very positive, enthusiastic and above all passionate about Downtown New West. The ideal candidate will truly be an Ambassador in supporting our vision.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Programs & Events Manager.
- Support the office in maintaining accurate and organized hard copy and electronic files for all BIA related activities.
- Backup reception and database management.
- Vendor sales & liaison leading up to events.
- Arrange logistics, promotions, communications, and media in support of the BIA staff for all events and promotions.
- Help manage registration, vendor, media and guest databases.
- On site event work including set up and take down, liaising with exhibitors, supporting the supervision of volunteers.
- Manage and perform customer service duties at information and merchandise booths on event days.
- Face to face and electronic communications with members and partners on a regular basis.
- Develop website, video and blog content.
- Update the online business directory and events calendar regularly.
- Liaise with stakeholders, members, media, committees, the BIA Board of Directors, and partners on projects, initiatives and events.
- Provide a pleasant, positive, and professional atmosphere for our members and the public when communicating with our office.
Qualifications & Core Competencies
- Be between 15 & 30 years of age and registered as a full-time university or college student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year, and be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with official refugee status (these are requirements of federal grant funding)
- Customer service and sales experience an asset
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent in English, other languages an asset
- Good proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, particular confidence using Excel
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines under changing priorities
- A positive, professional and confident demeanour
- Ability to deal effectively with the membership, partners, and the public
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to take initiative and follow through
- Experience and/or education in communications, marketing, event management, photography, film editing, social media engagement and content creation, writing all an asset
- Must be available to work Wednesday and Friday evenings throughout the summer, and the weekend of July 29th, possible other weekend work required.
How to apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 26th, 2017 - we thank all who apply, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.