The Downtown New West BIA proudly launches a brand new placemaking program to inspire our community in activating local public spaces!
In partnership with the City of New Westminster, we invite individuals, businesses and not for profits to submit your proposals for unique and innovative activations in Downtown New West public spaces. We'll pick 3 to fund and support this year.
We’re looking to you to come up with creative ways to activate public spaces, get people outside, foster social connections, build community, and make the Downtown more fun and inclusive.
Maybe it's a pop up dance party, or an art installation, or a family friendly event - or maybe (hopefully!) it's something we've never even thought of.
- Foster activations in public spaces that are safe, welcoming and inclusive
- Build community by encouraging people to connect with each other in public spaces
- Test new ideas and help identify/remove barriers that discourage activations of public spaces
We're looking to fund 3 projects in 2019 for up to $3,500 each. This funding would go towards your costs of producing the activation, and could include materials, artist fees, insurance, marketing, equipment rental, and supplies. The funding is not eligible to cover charitable donations or liquor purchases.
The Downtown New West BIA will also provide promotional support, and guidance in acquiring necessary permits with the City of New Westminster.
- Your activation could include dance, music, art, or hopefully something we haven't even thought of before! The one thing it MUST be is safe, welcoming and inclusive to everyone.
- Activations could be a single event, recurring pop-ups, or a seasonal installation.
- Ongoing or previous activations within Downtown New West do not qualify.
- You must be prepared to take on all aspects of producing the activation including staffing and funding (with the help of the grant of course).
- Activations must take place before December 15th, 2019.
- You must acquire appropriate insurance naming the Downtown New West BIA and the City of New Westminster as additional insured parties.
- The activations must happen in a public space within Downtown New West as defined by the BIA boundaries:
Bonus points for:
- Using a previously underutilized public space and/or supporting a change in perception about a public space
- You bring together two or more individuals, businesses or not for profits to partner together on an activation
- Submit your idea using the link below by March 25th
- We'll choose a group of semi finalists by March 29th and ask that group for more detailed plans and budgets due April 12th
- Jury panel to review detailed proposals and pick 3 finalists by April 17th
Questions about any aspect of this program can be directed towards email@example.com