Want to be a part of something amazing? We are seeking superstars to help us with our summer initiatives, events like the Lila Summer Series free yoga in the park, Fridays on Front and Columbia StrEAT Food Truck Fest!
Status: Full Time, Temporary from mid May to end of August
35 hours per week, wage is $15.00/hour + 4% in lieu of vacation
Typical hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm in May and June, but must be available to work Thursday evenings in July only, Wednesday and Friday evenings in July AND August, and on Saturday July 25th, possible other weekend work required.
This is an exciting role full of variety, and the opportunity to have input into BIA communications strategies, initiatives and events. Our culture is very positive, enthusiastic and above all passionate about Downtown New West! Summer Ambassadors' primary focus will be in planning, executing, and evaluating BIA events, programs and promotions.
The ideal candidates will truly be Ambassadors for Downtown New West with high energy and enthusiasm for our vision.
- Arrange logistics, promotions, communications, and media in support of the BIA staff for all events and promotions.
- Help manage registration, vendor, media and guest databases.
- On site event work including set up and take down, managing vendors, supervising volunteers.
- Hand out promotional materials and conduct sales on event days.
- Develop weekly blog content and update our online business directory/events calendar regularly.
- Daily social media content creation in collaboration with our Digital Marketing Coordinator.
- Liaise with stakeholders, members, media, committees, the BIA Board of Directors, and partners on projects, initiatives and events.
- Provide a pleasant, positive, and professional atmosphere for our members and the public when communicating with our office.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Programs & Events Manager.
- Support the office in maintaining accurate and organized files for all BIA related activities.
- Reception and database management.
Who are we looking for?
Energetic, positive and outgoing candidates who are passionate about being a part of our fun team this summer!
- Customer service and sales experience an asset
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines under changing priorities
- A positive, professional and confident demeanour
- Ability to communicate effectively with the membership, partners, and the public
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to take initiative and follow through
- Fluent in English, other languages a big asset
- Proficiency in G Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience, education and/or interest in economic and community development, graphic design, photography, social media engagement, writing, communications, marketing, event management and supervision of staff and volunteers all BIG assets
- Typical hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, but must be available to work Thursday evenings in July only, Wednesday and Friday evenings in July AND August, and on Saturday July 25th, possible other weekend work required
These positions are only made possible through the Canada Summer Jobs program, this federal grant funding requires that successful candidates:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
The Downtown New West BIA believes in employment equity and encourages applications from youth who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups or as having additional barriers to entering or staying in the labour market, as outlined below:
- New immigrant/refugee youth (new is defined as having arrived in Canada in the past 5 years);
- Indigenous youth;
- Youth who have not completed high school;
- Visible minorities/racialized youth;
- LGBTQ2 youth;
- Women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM); and,
- Youth who have not previously been employed and for whom this would be their first job experience.
How to apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by March 30th, 2020 - we thank all who apply, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.