Need some riverside eats? Check out our top picks in Downtown New West.
Make sure to hit Westminster Pier Park!
Grab takeout from Columbia St. Sandwich Co., pastries and coffee from Hive Cafe or get delivery from other local restaurants. Take your delicious eats to enjoy at one or more of the most picnic-worthy spots:
- The luscious lawn that faces the river, with plenty of space to spread out in order to accommodate physical distancing
- The large lawn-style chairs on the pier, which are conveniently distanced about two metres apart!
- The rolling lawn on the West end of the park
- The urban beach on the East end of the park
- The pier itself, with riverside views and a bright atmosphere
If you’re looking for somewhere quieter, try out Tipperary Park. The lush green grass and tall trees blowing in the wind make this a prime picnic spot. Two blocks away, The Hide Out Cafe offers soups and sandwiches, as well as locally-roasted espresso and vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options! Grab some takeout, get delivery or pack up your own lunch & try one of these spots:
- Behind the tennis courts off Queens Avenue, you’ll find a quiet alcove full of picnic tables
- Closer to Queens Avenue along the stream, there are multiple public benches where you can relax to the sound of the babbling creek
- The pond area is lovely as you can sit on a bench and watch the ducks swim around the pond, or stroll around and smell the flowers
Quayside Park is also worth checking out, with riverfront views and nice walking paths not too far from the Shops at New West complex and the River Market.
Feeling a little more urban? Find a bench on the steps of the Provincial Court of British Columbia. This intriguing architectural spot is a short walk away from Asian fusion restaurant Banh Mi Bar and The Hide Out Cafe as well. Enjoy your private picnic booth and don’t forget to take in the view!
The boardwalk along the quay is another great urban spot where you can grab lunch to-go and sit on a lovely bench or patio in the sun. Across from the Shops at New West complex sits Hyack Square, home to public art, benches and lots of hustle and bustle. At both of these locations, you are steps away from delicious local pizza, donairs and a variety of mouthwatering eats at the River Market.
If you visit any of these picnic spots, be sure to snap a picture and tag us @downtownnewwest! Happy picnicking!